Wrinkles are an inevitable part of aging but there ways to prevent the onset of facial lines or reduce the creases once they have formed. In Tampa, exposure to the harsh sun sets up a perfect environment for wrinkles to develop so it is important to heed experts’ advice to limit time in the sun and to follow preventive measures to avoid premature aging.
Here are 10 tips on how to prevent and reduce wrinkles:
1) Stay out of the Sun – outside of aging, exposure to the sun is the primary cause of facial wrinkling. The sun dries out the tissues and damages the dermal layers. Since it is not feasible to stay indoors forever, make sure that you wear a high SPF sunscreen and where a hat that shades your face and neck from the rays. Choose to stay in the shade whenever possible and avoid getting a burn or tan as this is simply evidence of skin damage – not a sign of health.
2) Drink Plenty of Fluids – wrinkles are created by a lack of moisture in the skin so you can hold off on the aging process by keeping your body hydrated. Do not wait until you feel thirsty, at that point, you are already past the point of damage. Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day and avoid fluids that are dehydrating (such as coffee, diet colas, and teas).
3) Do Not Smoke – cigarette smoke is thought to age the skin by releasing an enzyme that breaks down collagen and elastin. Once these connective components are compromised, the skin can no longer bounce back into place and wrinkles take hold. Also, the act of dragging on a cigarette causes lines to form around your lips from the repeated action. These lines are often referred to as smoker’s lines.
4) Get Plenty of Sleep – sleep gives your body time to heal and repair the cell damage that occurs during the day. Some studies show that the body produces excess cortisol when it does not get enough rest. Cortisol is a hormone that breaks down skin cells. Also, sleep on your back to prevent wrinkles that form by too much pressure on skin tissue (those “pillow marks” create wrinkles over time if you always sleep in the same position).
5) Avoid Squinting – the lines around the eyes are created mainly by squinting so wear sunglasses whenever you are out in bright light. Also, get reading glasses if you must squint to make out fine print. Overworking the muscles around the eyes causes crow’s feet to develop, as well as forehead furrows and the “11” wrinkle between your eyebrows.
6) Be Careful Not to Over Wash your Face – while it is imperative to keep your face clean to ward off blemishes and to remove dead skin tissue, overwashing can dry out the skin and set up a better environment for creases to form. Use a gentle cleanser, not harsh soap, and do not scrub your skin. Washing too often also removes helpful oils that lubricate your skin.
7) Wear a Moisturizer – to keep your skin hydrated, wear a moisturizer both day and night. During the day, choose a moisturizer that also contains sunscreen and at night wear a moisturizer to bed that is not too heavy. Find a product that does not clog up your pores but that helps to keep your skin moist. As a side note, there are some excellent products available at the Elite Facial Plastic Surgery in Tampa to help keep wrinkles at bay.
8) Eat your Vegetables – eating the proper amount of fruits and vegetables provides your skin with the nutrients needed to rebuild connective tissue. Fruits and veggies contain antioxidant compounds that fight damage caused by free radicals and help your skin look more radiant.
9) Take Vitamin C – even if you eat a lot of fruit and green leafy vegetables, you may still benefit from a vitamin C supplement. Studies show that vitamin C can help protect against UVA and UVB rays and improve inflammatory skin conditions.
Wrinkles are Inevitable, but Can be Reduced with Injectables
10) Work with a Board-Certified Plastic Facial Surgeon – even if you take care to prevent wrinkles, eventually lines and creases will still happen as a normal part of aging. To remove wrinkles once they inevitably appear, a well-qualified plastic surgeon can administer Botox or dermal fillers to reduce the lines. Botox works by freezing the facial muscles that created the wrinkles and also help prevent new wrinkles from forming (while the drug is active). Dermal fillers add volume to fill in deeper lines and often help the body to rebuild collagen where needed most. Working with a great plastic facial surgeon can help restore your skin once wrinkles occur.
For more information on treating wrinkles, please contact the Elite Facial Plastic Surgery for a complimentary consultation. The Elite Facial Plastic Surgery is a fully accredited medical facility located in Tampa Florida. Medical Director, Dr. Michael Jasin, is a highly respected, board-certified facial plastic surgeon with over 30 years of experience. The medical team is well trained and specializes in facial cosmetic surgery and injectable procedures. Call (813) 975-3223 today to schedule your complimentary visit or go to our website for more information www.JasinFacial.com