Many people in Tampa seem more concerned with facial wrinkles than with the signs of aging that are visible below the chin. However, a droopy neck can often be a more noticeable indicator of age. Here we explore the 5 signals that indicate that a neck lift is in order and help you determine if you are a good candidate for this cosmetic surgery.
A Neck Lift Helps Tighten the Skin
The thin skin along the front of the neck is an area that is frequently exposed to both the sun and the elements, as well as subject to a lot of motion. We seldom realize it, but our neck is involved in many of our facial expressions and part of almost every motion we make throughout our waking hours. Just think about how many times you look left and right while driving, or glance up and down at your computer screen. Your neck gets more of a workout than you might ever imagine. Each of these activities will stretch the skin just a little further. Plus, the natural aging process reduces the amount of collagen and elastin in our skin so it does not bounce back in to shape the same as in our youth. So over time, it is very common for the thin skin along the neck to drape and sag with age.
5 Signs you Need a Neck Lift
1) Vertical or horizontal lines begin to appear along the front of the neck: One of the first signs that the neck is in need of a lift is that deep wrinkles or grooves begin to form along the neck. These can either be vertical or horizontal but is an indication that the elastic tissue of your neck is compromised by aging, sun damage or one of many other wrinkle inducing factors.
2) Drooping skin along the neck: If you are worried about catching your “gobbler” in a zip up jacket, it is time to consider a neck lift.
3) Wearing a turtleneck in Florida: when you find yourself looking for turtleneck sweaters or decorative scarfs to hide your neck, even on a hot Tampa day, then you are probably ready to seek a plastic surgeon for a tightening procedure.
4) Your neck Says No, After your head says Yes: If you shake your head and the skin along your neck continues to sway (as though an echo), then you may have a problem with drooping neck skin.
5) There is no angle between your neck and chin: when it appears that your chin is attached directly to your breast bone, then a neck lift can help you by adjusting the angle to its proper position.
How a Neck Lift will Restore Your Appearance
A neck lift is a procedure that will enhance the appearance of your neck by tightening the skin and restoring the angle between the chin and the neck. Traditional neck lift surgery requires a series of incisions made along the base of the jaw to access the platysma muscle which is the most visible muscle along the front of the neck. The muscle and nearby tissue is then stretched and excess skin removed before being stitched back into place. This surgery usually is very safe but the older method requires a significant recovery period before the patient can return to regular activities.
At Elite Facial Plastic Surgery, the skilled plastic surgery team has developed the Simplicity Neck Lift which provides all the benefits of traditional surgery but does not require as much downtime from work or hobbies. According to Dr. Dominic of Elite Facial Plastic Surgery in Tampa, Fl, the Simplicity Neck Lift is done using only one small incision to approach the platysma muscle. This allows for the muscle and tissue to be stretched and tightened without the need for additional incisions. This greatly reduces the recovery time and limits any possibility of scarring or infection due to the less invasive surgery. For some patients, Dr. Dominic may recommend liposuction be performed as well to remove any pockets of fat that have gathered along the neck or below the jaw.
If you have any of the five signs of neck aging and want to find out if you are a good candidate for the Simplicity Neck Lift, please contact Elite Facial Plastic Surgery to schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Dominic. Elite Facial Plastic Surgery is a fully accredited medical facility under the direction of expert plastic surgeon, Dr. Dominic M. Castellano. Please contact us as (813) 975-3223 to schedule your free initial consultation or go to our website at www.EliteTampa.com for more information.