There is a saying that goes “Laugh a lot, and when you’re older all of the wrinkles will be in the right places.” Sounds cute, but most of us would rather laugh without getting wrinkles at all. While wrinkles are an inevitable part of growing older, many men and women want to reduce wrinkles or find a way to minimize them. Some wrinkles can be reduced significantly with just a few small lifestyle changes and some need extra attention from a good plastic surgeon.
Avoid Sun Exposure to Reduce Winkles
1. Avoid exposure to the sun and the elements. Sun damage is the most significant factor in the onset of wrinkles, especially at an early age. The UV rays from the sun can damage skin and cause it to dry out and lose elasticity. Sunlight actually damages the collagen and elastin fibers, which are responsible for keeping skin springy and strong. When this damage occurs, skin begins to sag and crease, making us looking older. Even a small amount of sunlight can cause damage. In addition to causing wrinkles, UV rays from the sun are also a leading cause of skin cancers. The easiest way to avoid this damage is to avoid direct exposure and to wear sunscreen whenever you are outdoors. A little change like applying sunscreen daily before leaving the house can prevent many wrinkles from occurring.
2. Be conscious about what you are putting in your body. Water is an essential ingredient in healthy skin, so staying hydrated and avoiding caffeinated beverages can have a remarkable impact on the condition of your skin. In addition, studies have shown that eating foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids can give your skin an advantage by keeping it plump, tight and nourished. Oily fish such as salmon, tuna, herring as well as almonds, walnuts and sunflower seeds are also high in Omega-3, helping to keep you looking younger longer. Simply adding more water and more healthy oils to your diet can prolong the youthful composition of your skin. It is a small change that can make a long lasting difference.
Take Care of your Health to Reduce Wrinkles
3. Get more rest. Adults should aim for 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night. While you are sleeping, your body is actually rejuvenating itself. It is also producing HCG (human growth hormone), which is one of the body’s natural defenses against aging. HCG helps the body maintain healthy tissues, including your skin. Adults get into habits of sleep that can be unhealthy. Simply giving yourself quiet time before bed and going to bed early enough to allow a full 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep can actually help keep wrinkles – and stress – at bay. Getting more sleep is a small change that is likely to improve the quality of your life in numerous ways.
4. Educate yourself. The more you know about how the body works and what your options are, the easier it will be to make the small changes that will improve the health of your body and your skin. When you understand how foods, chemicals and stress impact the way you look and feel, you will be empowered to make choices that can slow down the aging process and reduce wrinkles. You will also be less likely to waste time and money on treatment programs or products that won’t work.
Consult a Professional To Reduce Wrinkles
5. Consult a professional. Eventually you may get to the point where preventative and holistic measures are not enough to give you the results you are really looking for. There are some fantastic, safe and affordable medical options for reducing wrinkles. Qualified cosmetic surgeons are trained in all of the latest techniques for restoring youth to your face. Whether you are thinking about a spot treatment like Botox or dermal fillers, the all-over rejuvenation that you can get from laser resurfacing treatments or a facelift procedure, only a cosmetic surgeon can evaluate your health and your needs to recommend the right procedure or combination of procedures to give you the results you are looking for. Make sure you choose a physician who has the credentials and experience to make you look and feel your best safely and effectively.
Dr. Dominic Castellano, of Elite Facial Plastic Surgery, is one of the most respected cosmetic surgeons in the Tampa Bay area. He is double-board certified and has experience in all of the latest surgical and non-surgical methods of wrinkle reduction and elimination. His staff is also highly qualified and will fully support you through the entire process. Elite Facial Plastic Surgery is a highly accredited medical facility designed to uphold the highest standards in medical care.
If you are ready to find out more about medical options for wrinkle reduction, contact Elite Facial Plastic Surgery today or call us at (813)975-3223 for a complimentary consultation for more information. This may just be the most important “little change” you’ve ever made.