When you mention plastic surgery, most people automatically think of women but men now account for 44% of all procedures in the U.S. Many men in Tampa are now feeling pressure to look younger and more attractive in order to compete in the workplace or in the singles bar. Some men have been inspired by their wife’s successful procedures, or are recently divorced and think they look older than their years. Whatever the reason for the increase, here is a list of the top 5 plastic surgery procedures for men:
1) Botox (and dermal fillers) – because men work and/or play outdoors in the sun, they are more prone to wrinkles than women. They often are less likely to use sunscreen and so will see the effects of aging around their eyes and mouth, as well as across the forehead region. Botox and dermal fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane can help reduce wrinkles in these regions and help create a younger appearance. While these products are not permanent, they can be an easy way to improve your look without needing any downtime from work. Plus, they are reasonably inexpensive compared to surgical procedures.
2) Chemical Peels, Microdermabrasion and Laser Skin Resurfacing – All of these procedures help remove dead skin cells and rejuvenate the facial tissue to leave the skin smoother and softer. These processes will reduce the appearance of acne scars, fine lines and wrinkles, remove age spots and lessen large pores. The difference in the procedures is a matter of depth, the microdermabrasion sands the surface layer of the skin; a chemical peel penetrates a bit deeper and the laser is the most effective and longest lasting of the three. Which one you choose depends on the type of facial flaw you are trying to fix and how long you want the treatment to last.
3) Rhinoplasty (nose job) – many men turn to plastic surgery to change the shape of their nose. Whether you feel your nose is too big, too asymmetrical, has a bump at the end or if you have broken it during mountain bike accident, a plastic surgeon can help shape it to better fit your face. Non-surgical rhinoplasty is a great option to repair the nose and is far less invasive than traditional surgery. A plastic surgeon uses dermal fillers to reshape the facial features to help your nose look smaller or to fix any curves or humps. A non-surgical nose job is not permanent but is a great way to start before committing to a lifetime change in appearance.
4) Facial Liposuction – as men age, they often develop jowls or a double chin due to the effects of aging and gravity. These are formed because of excess pockets of facial fat that slowly tug the skin around the jawline. Facial liposuction is a great way to remove this excess fatty tissue and create a much younger look. The process is similar to body liposuction but a facial surgeon uses a much smaller cannula (tube) to remove the fat without leaving a scar. And this process is much safer because the amounts of fat removed are minimal with a quick recovery time. This is one procedure that can make a dramatic difference in appearance and lasts a lifetime.
5) Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty) – men who have premature aging or are getting upwards in years may notice their eyelids drooping. Often they hear people ask them if they are tired or if they are feeling OK. Sagging eyelids can happen on the lower or upper eyelids and can affect vision in extreme cases. Most commonly, someone with droopy eyes can have a “basset hound” look which is not attractive on a human face. Eyelid surgery can give you a more alert appearance, reduce the bags under the eyes and really provide a much fresher look. At Elite Facial Plastic Surgery, Dr. Dominic and team use a laser to make the incisions to avoid scarring.
If you want to learn more about how plastic surgery can help you look younger and more attractive, please schedule a complimentary consultation at Elite Facial Plastic Surgery. During the consultation, we can use computer imaging to show you how you can look following a procedure and answer any questions you may have for the surgeon. Contact us at (813) 975-3223 or find us on-line.