We’ve all heard stories about people travelling out of the country in order to save on all types of plastic surgery, including a discount facelifts. Some people in Tampa who have considered the cost of plastic surgery here in the U.S. have got to wonder if going overseas is worth it. The truth is, the old adage “you get what you pay for” is more than appropriate in this instance. Travelling for a discount facelift may turn out to be a deal or in many cases, result in less than ideal results. In the worst cases, out of the country surgeries have included severe medical problems and some fatal complications.
Here are reasons to think twice before going out of country for a discount facelift:
• The training of doctors in other countries is often dramatically different than in the United States. After becoming a doctor, the extra training to become a plastic surgeon varies widely as well. Uncertainty in medical skill means uncertainty of results, so your discount facelift may come at a significant personal price.
• In the United States, there are accrediting agencies that certify medical facilities and medical providers. U.S. hospitals have peer review boards to further evaluate the doctor’s surgical skill in given procedures. While you may get a discount facelift abroad, the surgery is not necessarily as standardized or done is a safe medical facility which can lead to dangerous results if something goes awry.
A discount facelift can be risky if you chose a non-accredited overseas facility.
• Most other countries do not have the same rigorous approval process for medical technology and devices that the FDA provides in the United States. Elimination of this approval process is one of the reasons you may be able to get a discount facelift on procedures outside the jurisdiction of the FDA. It may be also be difficult, if not impossible, to evaluate the medical facility, skill of the doctor and staff, the procedure, or the devices used in procedures.
• According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), infection is the leading complication among patients traveling for a discount facelift. Traveling is also associated with higher swelling, blood-clot, and pulmonary embolism rates. The ASPS also reports that protruding scars, hematomas, and unsatisfactory results occur at a higher rate in surgeries performed abroad.
Traveling for a discount facelift can lead to infection or other complications.
• Compounding the travel-related issues, complications such as infection may require a secondary medical procedure. While surgeons back home may be equipped to perform the secondary procedure, they may not be aware of the initial surgeon’s approach to the first procedure or the type of technology or devices used. These factors make the secondary procedure more difficult. The cost of treating the complications or correcting the initial surgery can wipe out the facelift discount you received in the first place.
• Another consideration is that different countries have varying ideas on beauty. A plastic surgeon overseas may not have the same ideal in mind as you do before the surgery. There have been several complaints of plastic surgery being “overdone” or done in a way that looks unnatural in the U.S., but may be the desired look in another country. Do your research before undergoing any surgery and make sure to view before and after pictures of the surgeons work in advance.
Discount facelift may be tempting but are not worth the risk
While it may be tempting to take advantage of facelift discounts by traveling overseas, there are virtually no resources or organizations monitoring which hospitals or countries have the most malpractice cases or highest patient satisfaction rates. In addition, high-profile horror stories continue to make the news. These stories include patients who have contracted hepatitis while overseas for a facelift discount, terrible disfigurations and botched surgeries that took years to correct.
Dr. Dominic Castellano is one of the most respected and qualified cosmetic surgeons in the Tampa Bay area. He is double board certified and has the skill to make you look your best while upholding the highest medical standards in the industry. Elite Facial Plastic Surgery is a fully accredited medical facility staffed with professionals who are highly trained in facelifts and other cosmetic surgery procedures that will help restore your youthful appearance safely and effectively. If you are considering a facelift, call us today at (813)975-3223 for a complimentary consultation or visit our web site at www.JasinFacialandBody.com for more information